Sunday, January 4, 2009

killer buffalo

A couple nights ago I dreamed I was in a car with my best friend Laurel and I think her dad was driving. It was close quarters, the kind of space in dreams you don't question until you're awake. We were all squished in the front seat. We were traveling at a rather high speed on River Road, and her dad was driving on the wrong side of the road so I was afraid another car would suddenly appear from around a curve or hill. Then we saw the dead animals- squirrels at first, and Laurel shrieked so we wouldn't hit them. They were scattered everywhere. Just as I was thinking of what an unlucky bunch of squirrels that is, we approached a field full of dead animals, mostly neatly stacked in pyramids. I saw the pyramid of dead gophers, and dead cows. This is when the car disappeared and we were standing in the road. And we saw it: the giant, angry buffalo or something that had been murdering and organizing all the animals. He was looking at us, steam coming from his angry nose, and he was stomping the ground under his feet, waiting to pounce on us. We started running, and I was suddenly really pissed that we weren't in the car anymore. We were running to the nearest house, which had been built on a cliff and was stacked on rocks. We climbed up the front and felt a little triumphant because obviously the buffalo would not be able to scale the rocks as we had. But as we made our way to the back of the house we saw that it was built right on the river and the buffalo just had to charge up the hill on the side and could easily find us. The house had no doors.

I woke up with my heart pounding and therefore had trouble going back to sleep again. This past week Liam's been struggling with some new teeth coming in and he woke up at 4 a.m. two times and wouldn't go back to sleep until after 9. In return, Gabe let me sleep in both days this weekend, and I slept longer than I expected or even thought I could anymore. No more dreams of killer buffalo. Just having killer headaches and all-around yuckiness.

1 comment:

Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails said...

I will never grow tired of reading about you dreams! You crack me up!!!