For my 50th post I’m writing to you 50 things about myself, but in two parts because I am not sure what some of you think of me yet and I don't want to overwhelm you with my awesomeness. Just kidding.
Tara did a 101 Things list for her 101st post; I think I’d rather tackle 50! I love reading these lists when other
people do them, but I know I am kinda weird, so I hope this doesn’t make anyone’s eyes cross involuntarily. Or even voluntarily.
Also, in a departure from my 10 Things list, when I wrote entire paragraphs and snuck random tidbits in as a train-of-thought process, adding up to more than 10 Things, I’ll try to keep this short and sweet.
1. I was born in Massachusetts and lived there until I was almost six years old.
2. Growing up I identified myself more as a Massachusettsonian rather than a Mainer.
3. Living in Texas and missing home encouraged me to embrace my Maine-ness.
4. I am afraid of the dark because of my big sister Karsten and the stories she told me when I was little
5. When I was four or five she convinced me that the ghost of a cowboy lived in the sewer in our town and after that my parents had to hold me over the toilet when I had to go.
6. The house I lived in during high school and the two years following my graduation is haunted. My parents still live there.
7. There is still some “activity” but usually only when I am around. Thanks, ghosts.
8. You can’t convince me that there are no such things as ghosts. THEY’VE BEEN IN MY BEDROOM WITH ME.
9. Ok, so I am also afraid of the dark because of my experiences at my parents’ house. Not just because of Karsten.
10. I still have a doll that I got for my 5th birthday. Her name is Kathy.
11. People are afraid of her. They say she’s staring at them. Dudes, she’s not!
12. I used to be able to sing along accurately with the entire self-titled 311 album. If you’re not familiar with it, I’ll have you know that a lot of the lyrics are rapped. If you are familiar with me, you’ll know this is hilarious; the thought of me rapping.
13. Gabe almost drove off the side of I-95 once when we were listening to one of my old 311 tapes. I started singing “Hive” and he couldn’t stop laughing. Don’t worry, I wasn’t serious, like I think I’m a rapper.
14. 311 is the reason my little brother Isaac and I started getting along better after we bickered and fought through most of our childhood. I love this kid.
15. I was once convinced that someday, Nick Hexum from 311 would find me and fall in love with me and we’d live happily ever after.
16. I was also open to this happening with Todd Lewis from the Toadies, Ben Affleck, and Josh Hartnett.
17. I haven’t eaten meat since I was 19.
18. I cried when I was cooking Gabe’s part of our anniversary dinner because there was a chunk of bone in the boneless chicken, which meant I had to handle it way more than I was comfortable with.
19. I’ve had acne of varying severity from mild to Hide Under a Rock since I was eleven. That’s more than half my life now. Haven’t I paid my dues?
20. My skin has been a huge reason for my general lack of self esteem.
21. I have only one ovary. I had both of them until I was twenty-two years old but one of them was removed with the dermoid cyst growing there.
22. Recovery from that cystectomy was the most pain I have ever been in. And I’ve given birth and had the highest degree of tearing that is on the tearing scale.
23. The cyst was found to have fat, hair, skin and bone tissue in it. I think that is both fascinating and incredibly gross/creepy.
24. The cyst was found because I was an egg donor and had to have ultrasounds of my ovaries to check on my little eggies.
25. I want to be an egg donor again but I may not be able to because of my lack of dual-power ovaries.
26. Also because of that, I thought it would take me a while to get pregnant. It didn’t. I got pregnant the first time it was possible.
27. I dreamed about Liam during the first year of mine and Gabe’s relationship; he was conceived and born during our fourth year together.
Numbers 28-50 will follow sometime this week... I know you care!