Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Crafting Fool

I went to Jo-Ann Fabric this afternoon when Gabe got home from work so I could use my 40% off coupon that came in the Sunday paper on some upholstery tacks for an art project I'm working on. I have never bought upholstery tacks before, and they sound expensive, so I thought 40% off could really be a big help.

I found steel tacks which will actually work better than upholstery tacks because the steel ones lie flat and they only cost $1.59. With the coupon that should have been about a dollar plus tax (I think?), but, well, I got a little distracted along the way.

I didn't realize that they'd become such a craft supplier beyond fabric, zippers and buttons. And crafts make me weak in the knees and my heart flutters when I go to Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

I ended up leaving Jo-Ann with acrylic faces to make my own stamps, felt letters to spell out Liam's name on the wall over his crib in our new home in Maine, three decorative storage boxes (to house/hide my stationery habit), a quarter flat of fabric for another version of the art project I am working on, recycled/recyclable canvas panels for this project, and of course the steel tacks, all for $20.

Inspiration: priceless.

The most expensive item was the acrylic stamp faces for $5.99. They were originally $9.99 and I was going to use my coupon on them but I didn't know until I was checking out they were already on sale this week for 40% off. The next most expensive item that wasn't marked down and therefore eligible for the coupon was the steel tacks.

I hope hope hope there's still a Jo-Ann in Portland and that it kicks as much crafting ass* as this one in my current town. I saw so many other things there that I can use for wonderful projects for myself, gifts, and crafts to sell. If I wasn't flying home in two weeks I would have spent a LOT more money today.

(Yeah, I said I am flying home in two weeks! I am so excited. And scared. And excited.)

Anyway so that's the story of my visit to Jo-Ann. I know it's not fascinating but I can't help but share when I find good deals on art and craft supplies.

* Edit: I've just done a store locator search for Maine. There's still one in Portland as well as one in Topsham but they are described as "smaller stores." The one where I live now is a Superstore. There are no Superstore locations in Maine OR New Hampshire. Poo. Poo, I say! Oh, my aching crafty heart. Maybe South Portland's A.C. Moore will do me right.

2 comments:

Audreee said...

I'm excited for you and your bargains. I tend to buy a lot of craft stuff, but have yet to complete a craft.

That Nora Girl said...

Um, me toooo... hoping to change that very soon. Ha!